ALL About Alec SU YOU PENG | รวบรวมผลงานของ ซูโหย่วเผิง > 1995 My Days at Jian Zhong

1995 My Days at Jian Zhong

<< < (2/3) > >>

Chomnath:
ESSAY 11: GAMING WITH BURNT EYEBROW

There were many tuition centers as well as game and snooker centers, and news of latest games spread fast among us. Some time we’ll visit the snooker center, usually I’ll watch and learn from others as I’m not good at it. At that time [Street Fighter 2] was new, 8 fighters each with special powers. Other than the usual controls, special powers are activated with mixture of different controls. Everyone would choose the only Chinese fighter and other fighters subsequently for a duel. There’s a big screen which charge double for a game for 2 players which was crowded with onlookers. I love playing and watching others play as to learn their techniques. [Roland Blocks] and [Lightning] (like early [Bumble Bees]) shooting planes and equipped with 3 bombs every round, all enemies would be eliminated when releasing the bomb. I could pass quite many stages with 10 bucks as I pretty good at it. Everytime I would be tempted to play a few rounds of game, as it was crowded in bigger centers, time was wasted waiting and playing( almost 1 hr). After realizing that indulging in game would only accumulate time wastage so we swear not to anymore, if not will flung the exam or being knocked down by a car. I don’t swear a lot cause I can’t control myself, I take it as a challenge just like comic books attracting me.

ESSAY 12: YOU’RE FINISHED, REALLY FINISHED
To a 3rd year student time is precious, and would feel like lost to those who revised. Reason is anxiety of not progressing, resulting not able to revise. In the end, feels like the whole world is far ahead of you. The only way to deal with such encounter is to forget about exams totally, not forcing oneself to revise, chat with someone or might as well take a nap. Another way is to bury oneself in books, not disturbed by other’s progress, or communicate. At the end of the day you’ll find that you’ve done much revision and able to walk head up along Nanhai road, starring into the summer night feeling contented. If revision wasn’t done well and wasted lot of time, feels bad even during washing up and couldn’t get to sleep and would self reprimand. Before starting revising at the revision room, I was going through a Chemistry reference book which was hard to understand which took me 2hrs to finish 1 page, Luo Yongnan was leaving I stretched myself and chat with him and asked contentedly“ What to do, took 2hrs to finish 1 page of the chemistry book”? His reply was “ Really, what are you suppose to do. I can finish 30-40 pages”. My confident tumbled. “ Good grace! How am I going to catch up, others are progressing fast while I am progressing, what to do”? I’ve got to speed up on one hand and understand thoroughly on the other, minor pressure can cause major reactions. But finally the fact is I absorbed more than others, got better grades. My experience was, with confident, revise according own pace not too slow, not distracted by other means and not giving oneself pressure. Don’t be defeated by our own fear, others are not that better than you. Tell yourself with confident :You’re quite smart, quite genius, don’t be afraid, confident is very important or lie to yourself which I believed myself very much then. I did the same for lots of other things even till today, whenever I attend shows with other famous artists I’ll tell myself that I’m one of them too. To be frank I experienced a lot during 3rd year which gave me strength.

Chomnath:
ESSAY 13: SLEEP

Sometimes in class, we’ll sleep or do self studies when we think that the teacher is not teaching well or subject is not in the exam list. Some teacher will continue teaching as they knew that we can adjust ourselves to our time and subjects we’re weak on, but some strict teachers won’t. During 2nd year Chemistry class, I was yawning away after late night revisions, my eye lids drop heavily with the light warm wind shutting off the teacher’s voice. Suddenly, a sharp pain shook me from my sleep, and I saw a half red chalk. Followed by the teacher shouting out to me, “You! Go wash up and come back to stand through out the class”! making the whole class turned and watch me walk out and back to class. Standing through out the class, shames you and makes you awake and a odd one out like a lamp post among the class, needs to bend down to take down notes which is torturing. Lots of students have each mastered individual sleeping techniques during tuition classes like- reading postures, lying against the wall. For the whole 50mins they’ll occasionally twitch the pen or leg and change positions in order to avoid being caught, some slept(dream as well) sitting straight without moving until hearing the bell rings. Everyone gets to taste sleeplessness and shamefulness of being caught.

ESSAY 14: NUTRITION CLASSES
Classes like, Technical, Military, Physical, Music etc can be absent from and the teacher don’t really minds about it. I like Technical class as the teacher let us practice wood sawing and produce objects out of it to hand in. We would skip class for ball games or revisions. I wanted to make a gun but due to frequent skipping of classes I forgot all sawing techniques. I couldn’t even saw a straight line, so I asked from guy who are fairly better than me. I found out that carpenter nearby is the answer. He’s work was great and fast, holding the finished gun, I pondered on the way back, something’s wrong…..The gun’s too perfectly finished, so I made it look ugly with crooked lines for convincing effect. Military instructors are quite familiar with me as I used to apply sick leaves often. Points were deducted for skipping classes and sick leaves. In 3rd year I visits these instructors to check on my balanced points. I took advantage of it to skip classes for rest and revisions. Example- Monday first 2 lesson was Biology I’ll rest at home or go to school late, cause I gave up the subject. I was told later that my situation was brought to attention at a teacher’s meeting, I was lucky that my form teacher covered up for me. Seems like Obedient tiger can’t have such practice, I got no choice in such a crucial year. Once during Military training, we were sent to set up targets for shooting. We were “forced” to enjoy as no books were allowed in the transport. We were briefed on correct handling and the recoil force of the rifle which may hurt or even worst dislocate the shoulder. Everyone were rather tensed after that, upon reaching we walked a short distance to the green firing field. Those finished firing would start to talk about the experience, it was rather relaxing like an excursion. We chose ball game of our interest during Physical lesson, volleyball, badminton, ping pong, and basketball (myself). My rebounce was bad as I couldn’t jump high enough. Friends like to group up with me as my “board slicing” was good. I would only skip Physical classes for exceptional reasons like exams which was quite often. Our plum Music teacher wanted to test our singing one day and everyone turned to look at me as if like [Professional singer, how would Obedient tiger fair]. I went on stage with confident, facing sights of the, class suddenly I felt like my throat was tightened by a string and went off key. The teacher was surprised and told me to return to my seat shaking his head. It was a tough journey, people must be having doubts on my albums produced, not as what was reported. This artist is such or over praised by the media. During 3rd year 2nd semester, I start to ignore lessons unrelated to the exams. Physics is one of it, I would skip class or sleep through out the lesson, stays in class while going for experiments. The experiment room is opposite our class room, when asked to do experiments we would try to deny and stick to our seat for more time revisions. We would envy those duty students as they can stay back in class. Some times we would sneak out of the experiment room for a ball game which is very risky as points would be deducted if caught. So sneaking to the basketball court without being caught by the discipline master is like the exciting war front. By memorizing sample questions in reference book [Experiment Rearranged] is more worth it(gain more marks) than to attend experiment lesson for 1 result. Even if a grouped report has to be prepared, we can calculate the answer technically rather than doing the actual experiment. If it’s far from the actual answer, we’ll ask around for tips and refer text book and hand in with a closer answer.

Chomnath:
ESSAY 15: MUSIC

Lin Hengyu, classmate from secondary to high school, used to visit Jiajia album shop(2nd level with posters pasted) at Zhonghua road for latest album release. We are very aware of the billboard and hit singers then were Madonna, Janet Jackson. Songs like [Rhythm Nation 1814] and [Vi-sion Of Love] are my favorite. Compilation Video (nowadays MTV ) of many artists, singles or concerts(Madonna) are what I look for and they’re hard to get as well. Hiring or borrowing are impossible. I would stinge on a bowl of bean curd for purchase of albums as student’s expenses are limited. I love Remix albums which consists songs from many artists at 1 cassette price. It’s strange that I like western song(pretty much affected by) while doing mandarin song with Little Tiger. I would carefully observe Mariah Carey and Whitney Huston’s vocals(high with powerful reserve), and differentiate between blues, black soul and jazz music. I admit that music is another knowledge that’s worth experimenting and hopes that I could visit places of origin of these music. Music a good shelter whenever I’m moody, diversion of tension while shopping for or discuss music with friends. And I’m full of spirit again the next day, actually revising with tip top spirit within a day is better than a week in tension.

ESSAY 16: COME ON! ENGLISH!
We were reminded not stay in air conditioned rooms too much as exams is round the corner. So, to adjust body temperature to suit the examination hall I moved all books with a wooden table, desk lamp, a hard army bed and stereo to a roof-top pre-fixed room, all books are in reach of ease. It’s a room separated from the outer world without any communication means other than family members or be alone, when feeling tired I’ll switch off all lights and leave the window opened and stare into the beautiful summer night in total darkness. At this time, switching on the stereo letting the music gentle swirl around myself and doing nothing is a form of relax. There’s a favorite song of mine then [Nothing Compares To You] by a female Ireland singer which helps me to tone down. I learned lots of English phrases from these western songs. I

I‘ve a small note book which consists of English phrases or sentences with me which I’ll read through whenever I’m waiting for bus, before meals or in the restroom to compare the uses between nouns and verbs. Friends did the same and found it beneficial too. Other than that I looked up the dictionary for words in the lyrics of songs, and marks with red pen for words checked, hoping the dictionary to be fully marked. Some students try to memorize by reading it to improve vocabulary power. Some students would brag that they’ve finished memorizing the capital letter A portion, which would send you trembling first and followed by thinking that will they jumble up the words, which is a method I don’t prefer. Lots of English sentences have been taught within these 3 years which I think rather alike. Memories of those being taught at early stage are blur, so we got what is before us to revise on which we’ll end up not remembering anything from neither early nor later stage. I’ll do compare to get it straight(more confuse it is, the more I want to clear up) even if it takes time. 1 pronunciation but different spellings, use of tenses or meaning differences without 1 letter. I’ll solve them all. Our English class have many tests(reading, fill in the blanks) which introduced lots of new words and sentences as some students would note down to revise. Every sentences have different verbs and nouns, I’ll say out repeatedly like relay on, rely on………..sometimes I’ll do so with my eyes closed on the street looking silly. But whenever encountering questions like relay_____, I’ll fill in On as answer without trouble. To achieve accuracy and speedy answers one needs to memorize and practice hands, eyes and brain’s reflection and no other alternatives.

Chomnath:
ESSAY 17: REVISE, REVISE

A lot of 3rd year students of Jianzhong prefer to stay back for revisions after school, and lighted classes with students making themselves at ease are spotted from the school field, I don’t like revising in open areas like classes or the library, you are greeted by rows of revising students. I prefer the dim revision center(more privacy). I started visiting revision center during 1st year when I decided to focus on my studies. It is more packed 1 month(crucial pre-exam holiday) before exams, sits are being rented at walk in( 250 bucks/ 5hrs- 730am-1230pm, 1230pm-530pm, 530pm-1130pm or 1130pm-730am) or monthly basis at 10% discount. Lin Hengyu was revising at thye wee hours at the center which he later agreed with me that it didn’t do much help. I was revising at the [Zhaori] revision center which was divided into 5 classes. The counter cashier Xiaoai(nicked named after comic character [Dian Ying Shao Nu]) helped me to reserve seat and gave me extra tea bags a lot. Ear plugs are a must for me to shut off all noises except mine and will take down revision hours covered ex. 29th Jan-9hrs and 10mins.

ESSAY 18: IT’S TOO NOISY, STOP IT!
I have this habit of twitching the pen whenever I sits down, can’t concentrate or face tricky questions, which helps to ease tensions. Every one does that even the top student in class. I could do half round at first,(sound of pen drop could be heard clearly when everyone was quiet) but later a full 1 round( to and fro). Those who are better could do 2 rounds non stop landing the pen between the thumb and middle finger. There was once I was told to stop twitching the pen as I was making lot of disturbing noises from pen dropping as I was nervous of shortage of time then. Book twirling was a trend as well then, students were spotted competing everywhere. Biology text books were twirled from the thumb to the last finger, then thrown up and balancing it on the finger again. It caused peeling at the center of the book which promotes longer balancing. Such habits don’t take up much energy and time.

Chomnath:
ESSAY 19: ABOUT MS ZHOU

Wang Wenliang and Lin Hengyu (classmates) used to revise with me for a period of time. We would meet up at the revision center at 9-10am. Wang Wenliang would pick me up with his bike, upon reaching I’ll lie on the desk for a short sleep for 1/2 hr followed by breakfast, read newspaper and starts revising for the day. Time table then was revise, nap, lunch, revise, dinner and home. We avoid attending tuition class other than important pre-exams lessons. More time was spend at the revision center, and I got to meet a pretty girl-Ms. Zhou, a Jingxiu girls business graduate and tries hard to further her studies, and I felt different when I set my eyes on her. Although surrounded by guys all the time, she’s gentle as her family was strict. My impression on pretty girls then were wild, playful, don’t really like studying and good at making boyfriends. But she’s different, didn’t care much with the guys around. She receives kinds of paper slips everyday and of course bouquets were send non stop, the guys rumored that it’s hard to court such a good girl, I retreated as she’s got so many suitors. Finally I pick up courages to get to know her and was delighted that she likes me. As our eye sights met from afar at the center, we’ll look away and hide at our seats. Wanted to meet up but brushed shoulders, wanted to chat but can’t open our mouth, we kept guessing each other’s thought. A simple message reaches her through friends of friend to her friend and reply through the same order. Once agreed to meet up, we’ll go on separate ways from the center and would arrange a “coincident” meeting up to avoid gossips. She’s a lovely memory during the period before examinations, her friend(nicknamed Green snake) helped passing messages to Ms Zhou (White snake) and Xiaoai helped passing notes and messages. 15th June was Jianzhong’s graduation day, I’m not affected by bouquets from fans, neither do I feel pressurized. Other than studies and exams, I felt strange sense if sweetness. It was her graduation day too, but I was only reminded to get bouquet for her on the 2nd day, which is my 1st time in my life and knowing roses were damn expensive at the florist. Her desk was packed with presents and bouquets on that day, so sending mine on the 2nd day made it stand out among the rest. Many(including my classmates) were courting her, but only I succeeded but it ended after the exams. Till now I still miss her, but she became my high school mate’s girl friend. I have no idea towards loveship then, chances of falling in love were high at the tuition school or revision center. There’s no ill intentions within, maybe needs someone of the opposite sex due to pressure, emptiness. Classmate(Chen) used to talk about his relationship and was troubled with his girl friend from Beiyi girls, they’re rather uncertain whether they’re friends or lovers. Other than studies such topics were another change for the soul. We would get together with friend’s girl friends as we’re good friends.

First day of the exam, reporters and crews from a 730pm news T.V station came to interview me for their yearly examination programme. Friends warned me upon spotting them from afar, angrily I got them to cover me to a corner but they caught up before I get into the class. I answered “Examination’s commencing”! and left them. The reporter waited an hour for me outside the class, and asked for permission to film me while taking the exam. After class, they interviewed me on how I answered the questions, they shouldn’t have bothered me at such crucial stage. I saw the report at 730pm back home and saw Ms Zhou sitting 2 seats in front of me which simmered my anger, I turned to my mom pointing to the screen “ Look mom, that’s Ms Zhou”!

ESSAY 20: NAN WU
I believes in Guanyin which has been hope for my soul although there’s no religious believe in my family. I could sense the presence of Buddha calming me down. Friend ever took my eight characters to a fortune teller, who said that I’ve fate with Guanyin, by chanting [Nan Wu Guan Shi Yin Pu Sa] ten times everyday, there’ll be hope in my exams and I obeyed as I’d do anything for the benefit of the exam. Parent of fan went to Thailand and prayed for me a necklace with statue of the four faced buddha which I wore it. Once, I prayed for four faced buddha to help not let it rain which indeed didn’t rain, I lost the necklace accidentally. To me religious is a form of important energy. I had a kind Buddhist teacher (nicknamed Buddha) who brought his students to Tu Cheng Guang Qin old monk’s Chengtian Chansi to pray to the mountain at his own expense. He told us that in every life’s turning point one has to pay for his kharma and sufferings would arise, praying and chanting sincerely to the mountain would help banish some of it. That day was a holiday, the tour buses were parked outside the school early in the morning, all participants are willing party, and we set of. We alighted at the middle of the mountain to perform the 3 steps 1 kneel and 9 steps 1 bow ritual on the tar road along with other believers. I was wet through out like the rest upon reaching the hill top, we glance downwards with tiredness. A gust of wind blew past, our troubles were lightened and seems like went along with the wind. After consuming the vegetarian food provided by the temple, we drank holy water prepared by the monk in charge, which was said to be able to clear misfortunes and improve intelligence. I was sincere and believes very much, I felt that barriers were clear and was freed. From then on I’ll told myself “Examinations are just challenges] and believes that sufferings are results of kharma, taking other’s tease as a test. I’m relieved as what’s done were done. After reaching the hill foot, some students went for tuitions, some went for ball game, I went home to sleep as I’m tired , and no regrets that I went. Waking uo the next day, I told myself that not to be defeated although difficulties were a lot and facing them one by one unlike games starting again after game over.

นำร่อง

[0] ดัชนีข้อความ

[#] หน้าถัดไป

[*] หน้าที่แล้ว

Go to full version